June 16, 1939
Lt-Col H.W. Murray VC, CMG, DSO and Bar, DCM, CdeG, DSM(US), (13) MID was asked if he would accept command of the infantry battalion that was to be formed in the north-east and the central-west of Queensland.
June 28, 1939
Approval was given for a new battalion to be formed in the 1st Military District.
July 21, 1939
LtCol Murray was appointed to command the 26th Battalion.
September 4 till November 11, 1939
The battalion began its first camp of continuous training at Kissing Point near Townsville.
November 11, 1939 till February 15, 1940
The battalion moved to the Show-grounds in Townsville.
March 23 till June 7, 1940
The battalion moved to a new camp at Miowera, south of Bowen. Lt-Col Murray marched in and assumed command of the battalion.
June 7, 1940 till May 30, 1941
The battalion moved back to Townsville. National Service Trainees had joined the unit. Men were released for enlistment in the AIF, RAAF and the RAN. Many senior officers and NCOs were retired.
June 1, 1941 till May 1, 1942
The battalion moved to a new camp at Sellheim, located near Charters Towers. The Governor, Sir Leslie Orme Wilson visited the unit.
May 1 till May 29, 1942
The battalion was now based at Stuart near Townsville.
May 29 till July 1, 1942
The battalion moved to Bohle River and received a visit from the Governor General Lord Gowrie.
July 1 till August 28, 1942
A further move was made to Alligator Creek. Maj-Gen J.J. Murray GOC 4th Div and Mr Frank Forde visited the unit. On August 17, Lt-Col Murray relinquished command of the battalion. Lt-Col J. N. Abbott DSO arrived and assumed command of the unit.